Visitis to the religious heritage site in La Grave
La Grave is a mountain village with a rich past. The rural population was very pious and the architectural heritage of the various religious bulildings add to the picturesque charm of the sites.
Some churches and chapels are open to the public only during the summer season, others all year round.
GUIDED TOURS IN SUMMER
For groups, on appointment with the Porche des Veilleurs, Jean-Max Dabourdy at +33(0)6 40 57 09 52
Church and chapel of Les Hières: on appointment with Mr. Michel Juge at +33 (0) 4 76 79 95 66
SELF-GUIDED VISITS ALL YEAR ROUND:
Church of Our Lady of the Assumption in La Grave: open every day from 9am to 6pm, free access.
La Grave's Church was built around the 11th century and is dedicated to
'Notre-Dame de l’Assomption '. It is the oldest monument in the area and has been a listed building since 1959. It is surrounded by a graveyard with tombstones topped with attractive wooden crosses that are worth a closer look: the triangle represents the Holy Trinity and the circle the unity of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
From 01/06 to 31/08/2023, daily.
Welcome supplement :
Located at the top of the village, the Church is open every day from 9am to 6pm on free access.
Adapted tourism :
Accessible for wheelchairs with assistance
Incline >5% but reasonable
Group size :
up to 20 people
04 76 79 90 05
Notre-Dame de l’Assomption church
The church was built around the 11th century. It is the oldest monument in the area and has been a listed building since 1959. With the Pentitents Chapel it forms a beautiful architectural complex at the heart of the village of La Grave.
04 76 79 90 05
Bon Repos Chapel
The Chapel Notre-Dame de Bon Repos stands on a promontory along the path connecting the Chazelet village to Les Fréaux.
Its date of construction is uncertain, but it probably dates back to the eighteenth century.
It is a place of worship and memory.